The Canadian Intellectual Property office recently released their 2012-2013 Annual Report. The
With respect to the Patent Branch, the following is noteworthy:
Report and additional information can be found at:
- There was a slight increase in patent filings in 2012-2013 as compared to 2011-2012 (35,848 as compared to 35,011).
- There has been a slight yearly decrease in the number of requests for patent examination since the 2009-2010 report.
- Number of patents granted in 2012-2013 was 21,529, which is a slight increase over the previous year.
- Top patent applicant and patentee for 2012-2013 was Research in Motion Limited.
- There were 20 referrals to Patent Appeal Board in 2012-2013.
- There were 6 Re-Examination filings in 2012-2013.
- There was a slight decrease in trade-mark filing in 2012-2013 as compared to 2011-2012 (49,125 as compared to 49,484)
- The top trade-mark applicant for 2012-2013 is Procter & Gamble Company.
- The top trade-mark registrant for 2012-2013 is LG Electronics Inc.
- There was 1005 Statement of Oppositions filed in 2012-2013.
- There has been a slight yearly increase in Design applications since 20019-2010.
- The top design applicant and registrant for 2012-2013 is Microsoft Corporation.